It is of no surprise that slow cooker recipes are among the most popular meals for families, couples, and singles alike. From the simplicity of their ingredients, no time to prep, and limited clean-up, these meals are an all-year-round type of deal. Yet, their true time to shine is during the cold and dry winter months. These shorter days have everyone wanting to just curl up on the couch with a warm plate in hand. Thankfully we have the recipes, the ingredients, and the utensils needed to make a delicious slow cooker dinner.
Try These Out:
French Onion Soup
A beefy broth loaded with caramelized onions, herbs, and Gruyere cheese.
- 3 large white onions sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 64 oz Beef Broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ⅓ cup dry sherry
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried Thyme)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 8 slices dry french bread
- ¾ cup Gruyere cheese shredded
- ½ cup Emmental cheese shredded
- 6 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick pan, cook onions, butter and brown sugar over medium low heat until golden and caramelized. (About 20 minutes).
- Once golden, add to the slow cooker along with remaining ingredients except bread and cheeses.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove and discard bay leaf and ladle the soup into bowls. Top with dry bread slices and cheeses. Broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
Cranberry Pork Chops
A pretty dish capturing you with its mild sweet and sour taste.
- 4 boneless pork chops, about 1/2-inch thick (2 to 3 pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion, from 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery, from 1 large celery rib
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth, or white wine — added to the slow cooker
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and sear the pork chops for 2 minutes on each side. Immediately place them in the fridge or freezer to cool completely. (See Recipe Note and Tester’s Notes for thoughts on food safety and searing ahead.)
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with the salt as it cooks. Set the mixture aside to cool completely.
- Place the cooled sautéed vegetables, cranberries, pork chops, pepper, thyme, and brown sugar into a 4-quart slow cooker and add 1/4 cup broth or wine. Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the pork chops are cooked through.
Chicken Tikka Masala
Creamy roasted marinated chicken chunks in a spiced curry sauce.
- 1.5 Tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 15oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- In a small bowl, combine the garam masala, cumin, turmeric, smoked paprika, salt, cayenne, and some freshly cracked pepper (about 10 cranks of a pepper mill). Sprinkle the spice mix over both sides of the chicken thighs, coating them liberally.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the seasoned chicken and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until well browned (the chicken does not need to be cooked through). Transfer the seared chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the diced onion to the skillet and continue to cook until the onions are soft and slightly browned on the edges. Remove the skillet from the heat. Add the onions to the slow cooker, then add 1/4 cup of water to the skillet and stir to dissolve the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Pour the water into the slow cooker.
- Add the minced garlic, grated ginger, and tomato sauce to the slow cooker with the chicken and onion. Briefly stir, then place the lid on top, and turn the slow cooker on. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- After 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low, the chicken should be fall-apart tender. Turn the slow cooker off, then add the heavy cream. Stir gently to combine the cream with the tomato sauce. Taste the sauce and add salt if needed.
- To serve, spoon the chicken and tomato sauce over cooked rice and top with fresh cilantro.
Whole Foods Market has all of the ingredients you need to knock some of these recipes off your must-try list! From spices to meats and beans to rice, this is easily your one-stop for all your shopping needs. Plus, they have a delicious bakery to add a side loaf to your meals or even splurge on a sweet treat. Next up would be stocking up on your slow cooker accessories. Stop in Bed Bath and Beyond or Target for a number of cutting boards, hot pads, serving utensils, quality knives, can openers, measuring cups, and more – all that can fit your own unique style. You can even find plenty of food storage containers for all the (or lack thereof) leftovers and even giant freezer bags to pre-make some future meals!
Share your recipes with us! Post and tag @AnnapolisTownCenter on Facebook and Instagram for a chance to be featured. And, be sure to stay up to date on all things Town Center by following us on social and checking our website.